Beijing Municipal Bureau of Environmental Protection, affiliated with the Municipal Government, is in charge of environmental protection work of the city. It has the following main functions:
1. Draft local environmental protection regulations; formulate municipal environmental protection plans; implement pollution-prevention plans and ecological preservation in key areas and key river valleys designated by the State and the Municipal Government.
2. Oversee the prevention and treatment of pollution concerning the atmosphere, water, soil, noise, solid waste, poisonous chemicals and automobiles.
3. Take charge of work related to nuclear safety, radiation environment and radioactive waste management and draft relevant regulations; take part in emergency responses to nuclear and radiation environment accidents; supervise nuclear facility safety, electromagnetic radiation, nuclear technology application and pollution prevention and treatment in radioactive resources mining.
4. Oversee the exploration of natural resources that has a bearing on ecology, and key ecological preservation and rehabilitation work; supervise environmental protection of natural reserves, scenic spots and forest parks; monitor protection of bio-diversity, wild life, wetlands and prevention of desertification; examine the establishment of new municipal-level natural reserves.
5. Coordinate the settlement of major environmental problems; investigate major environment pollution and ecological destruction incidents; coordinate the settlement of disputes over environmental pollution in land areas and river valleys between districts and counties; coordinate pollution-prevention work in key water valleys; carry out administrative inspection of environmental protections; coordinate inspections of enforcement of local environmental laws.
6. In line with national standards of the city, draft local pollution emission standards and local environmental quality standards for items not included in state regulations, and publicize local standards; examine environmental protection items in the master plan of the city (including townships); compile an environmental quality report; regularly release reports on air and water quality conditions and on environmental conditions of the city, and draft the outline on sustainable development of the city.
7. Implement environmental management systems; examine and approve environmental impact reports of development and construction activities; guide integrated treatment of urban and rural environment; supervise ecology preservation in the rural areas; establish ecological demonstration zones and eco-friendly agriculture in districts and counties.
8. Organize scientific development, major scientific research and technical demonstration projects on environmental protections; take charge of environmental management systems and environment certification; implement qualification confirmation system of the city; guide development of the environmental protection industry.
9. Take charge of environment monitoring, statistics and information work; formulate regulations; set up an environment monitoring network and environment information network of the city; monitor environment quality and pollution sources of the city; coordinate public awareness and education campaigns on environmental protections.
10. Conduct foreign exchanges on environmental protections; deal with foreign-related environmental protection affairs in Beijing Municipality as entrusted by the Municipal Government and the State Environmental Protection Administration.
11. Coordinate reforms of relevant counties and townships on environmental protection administration system.
12. Undertake other duties assigned by the Beijing Municipal Government.