Foreign Affairs Office of the People's Government of Beijing Municipality has the following main responsibilities:
1. Implement principles, policies and relevant regulations of the State on foreign affairs, as well as decisions made by the CPC Beijing Committee and the Beijing Municipal Government.
2. Formulate plans for foreign affairs in Beijing; and coordinate major foreign-related issues and activities in Beijing.
3. In line with requirements of economic development and social progress, as well as the needs for reforms and opening-up of the capital city, conduct research and offer suggestions on foreign-related decision-making by the CPC Beijing Committee and the Municipal Government.
4. With authorization of the Foreign Ministry and the Beijing Municipal Government, examine and approve overseas-bound business travel, as well as invitations for foreigners to work in Beijing; issue passports and apply for visas for overseas-bound business travelers; handle applications for business visas by some foreigners in Beijing and relevant consular affairs; deal with documents concerning foreign affairs submitted for approval to the CPC Beijing Committee and the Municipal Government by departments in the Municipality.
5. Be responsible for coordination of large-scale international activities hosted by the Municipal Government or the Foreign Affairs Office; receive important foreign guests of the State and the Party; arrange foreign-related activities for municipal leaders.
6. Be responsible for communicating with foreign consular missions in Beijing; administer foreign affairs involving municipal departments and foreign consulates; administer departments, which provide employees for foreign enterprises, representative offices and news agencies in Beijing.
7. Be responsible for foreign affairs with overseas sister cities, sister districts (counties) and sister departments; guide non-governmental foreign exchanges.
8. Coordinate administration of foreign experts working in Beijing; be responsible for administration of foreign correspondents, foreign news agencies stationed in Beijing and resident correspondents; coordinate on important matters regarding the administration of foreigners.
9. Provide talking points on foreign affairs for municipal departments in Beijing; assist in approving important foreign-related news releases and other relevant documents.
10. Train officials and staff members in foreign-related departments in Beijing on foreign policies and disciplines.
11. Assist relevant departments to implement foreign-related disciplines and confidentiality policies and make suggestions to relevant departments over violations.
12. Administer daily affairs of the Leading Group for Foreign Affairs of the CPC Beijing Committee.
13. Implement policies of the CPC Central Committee concerning Hong Kong and Macao affairs; take charge of the Municipality’s working relations and exchanges with Hong Kong SAR and Macao SAR, and promote exchanges and cooperation in all fields.
14. Undertake other duties assigned by the CPC Beijing Committee and the Beijing Municipal Government.